A former Jehovah’s Witness turned Christian namely Lorrie MacGregor once said, “If you have the right Jesus then you are right for all eternity, but if you have the wrong Jesus then you are wrong for all eternity.”
How important is it to have a correct understanding about who Jesus Christ is? Is it true that our souls will be in jeopardy if we embrace a wrong belief about Jesus Himself? A conversation was taking place inside a closed room between the Lord and Peter where He was asking the latter about how he really knew Him. At first, He was asking him about the others opinion of His identity. The apostle said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” (Matt. 16:14) However, the Lord did not want to hear the what others think but his own understanding of who He really was to him. Then Peter firmly confessed, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matt. 16:16) It is very important to know who Jesus Christ really is because to know His real identity means eternal life while to embrace a non-biblical Jesus spells eternal damnation. As Jesus claimed, “I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” He also claimed equality with God the Father because He forgives sins and works on a Sabbath (See Mk. 2:7; Jn. 5:17-18)
So, who is Jesus Christ? The prophet Isaiah tells us clearly that the Son who will be given is named Mighty God. (Isa. 9:6) He was also quoted by the author of Hebrews as the One who laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning and worked the heavens with His hands (See Heb. 1:10; Psa. 102:25). The apostle John believed that Jesus the living Word is God who was with the Father in the beginning. (See Jn. 1:1; 1 Jn. 1:1-2) The apostle Mark wrote in his account that Jesus is not just good in terms of human goodness but by nature good as God is truly good (See Mk. 10:17-18). The apostle Paul revealed that Jesus is by nature God who became by nature human for Him to offer Himself as a sacrifice on the cross (See Phil. 2:5-8). The Greek believer Titus wrote that Jesus was the great God and Savior that we are waiting for to appear someday (See Tit. 2:13). The letter of Paul to the Roman believers explained that Jesus has a human ancestry and a divine origin (See Rom. 1:3-4). Thomas also finally confessed that Jesus for him is Lord and God (See Jn. 20:28).
Surprisingly, despite a number of passages that show the full humanity and divinity of Jesus Christ, the cults of Christianity still oppose this hard truth. The following is a list of the beliefs of the cults of Christianity with regards to who Jesus Christ is.
- Iglesia ni Cristo – Jesus is a human creature created by God the Father and worship by every member.
- Ang Dating Daan (Members Church of God International) – Jesus is true God but inferior to the Father who is also called a true God. He is not Almighty God but Mighty God only.
- Pentecostal Missionary Church of Christ (PMCC 4th Watch) – Jesus is God but not truly human.
- Seventh-day Adventist – Jesus is Michael the Archangel.
- World Mission Society Church of God – Jesus is the Father while Ahn Sahng Hong the founder is Christ and the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ the Name Above Every Name – Jesus is the Father while Apollo Quiboloy is the Son of God on earth.
- Jesus Miracle Crusade International – Jesus plays the roles of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Church of God (Armstrongism) – Jesus is one of the family of Gods.
- Unification Church – Jesus is not truly God who did not finish His mission on earth due to His crucifixion.
- Jehovah’s Witness – Jesus is a created being who is considered to be an inferior Mighty God. He is not called Jehovah therefore He should not to be worshipped.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) – Jesus had many wives namely Mary, Martha, and Mary Magdalene. He is the Adam-God in the Garden of Eden.
- Unitarian Church – Jesus is a creature created by God.
- Metro Manila International Christian Church – They believe in an orthodox view of Jesus but believed water baptism can save them.
- Christadelphian – Jesus is but a creature created by His Father.
- Christian Science – Jesus is not God but the highest human concept of a perfect man. He was not tempted by the devil and never died on the cross.
- And many others…
Let us be sure that we know who Jesus Christ is in our lives or else we might be embracing another Jesus and a different Gospel eventually receiving a different spirit jeopardizing our salvation. As Paul wrote,
For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough. – 2 Corinthians 11:4